I wanted to start a ritual of reflecting on each month of 2017. Initially I had intended to start this on January 1st but quickly realized that I had some other things to sort out before I could just dive into this monthly commitment. Inspired by Jacki Carr‘s posts that she did on her blog last year, I wanted to follow the same format to help reflect on the positive, throw a solid going-away party for the negative, and get really clear on what I want my upcoming month to look like. As Jacki says on her monthly posts, putting this out there in a public space really steps up the accountability you attach to it all. So diving in….February.
The two things I’m most celebrating from February are:
1) Speaking up about what I’m passionate about. I was asked to give a few different presentations this past month about social media that spanned across audiences of entrepreneurs, real estate agents, influencers, and sales staff in the AHL. I LOVE to talk about social media. I really do. So the fact that there was a variety of groups that sought out my opinions and thoughts on how it could help improve their business was a lot of fun and really fulfilling. I’d love to do more of it.
2) I am celebrating my parents for purchasing a piece of land that has been in the family for years. The property holds a lot of great memories from my childhood, and is the same property my Dad grew up going to with his family. I’m really looking forward to helping them manifest how that space is going to look for the next generation of Phelan’s that come through. Summer days on the beach, camping out in the back woods with my nieces, and of course there will be S’mores! I’m just so stoked!
The two things I’m most grateful for from February are:
1) My fiance! We got hit by a two day snowstorm earlier this month and I was working through most of it which means I wasn’t able to help with much of the shovelling. It was also Valentine’s day and I didn’t even spend an hour with him that day. Instead, he organized a tonne of wedding details into these incredible excel spreadsheets AND then went over to my grandma’s to ensure she was dug out. The man wasn’t even prompted to do any of that! So grateful for him.
2) Tea. As simple as it is, I’m actually really really grateful for my cup of tea every morning (and then 10 more cups thereafter). I’ve made it a ritual to just take a moment every morning to enjoy those first few sips before diving into anything else. So good for the mind.
Anything to release or let go of from February, speak now: Being a control freak. This is an ongoing thing for me, but when things get hectic like they did in February, I try to come up with the best way to create order in my life which for me, translates to trying to control everything. It NEVER works. I end up at odds with someone or something who I don’t have the right to control. Check myself before I wreck myself. Setting all the reminders.
The lesson I learned and am carrying forward with me from February is: Listening is always better. Listen more. Speak less.
My intention word(s) for March is/are: MINDFUL (Note to self: Not MIND- FULL)
One thing I aim to do every day in March is: Meditate. See above. I think it will help!
Because I am brave, here are two new/scary things I will do in March:
1) Wake up at 4:30am every weekday in March. I got the inspiration from a group called Chasing Sunrise out of Vancouver and I started to do it in January and found it really helpful with my productivity levels, but then some other factors came along that pushed me off track. Recommitting myself to the 4:30am club….just for March.
2) Floating. You know that sensory deprivation experience in a tank? Heard nothing but good things about it and going to manifest it into March. Sooner rather than later….
The one book I definitely want to read in December is … ‘The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom‘ Don Miguel Ruiz. This book keeps coming up in conversations with people and I just finished a book so it’s a good time to dive in.
Just for fun, I will… have a picnic with Dan. I’m not sure anyone else finds sitting or eating on the ground as glorious as I do but we did this a lot this past summer and I miss it! Bringing it back for March – regardless of weather!
As an act of intentional kindness, I will… buy someones order in the car behind me at a drive-thru
That’s it! Thanks for the lessons February. Pressing START to these new intentions for March. How about you?